🌮 It’s Taco Tuesday + Surfin’ In Phoenix + Gardening Money Available
Happy Taco Tuesday everyone! Merichelle Norwood here to fill your inbox today with the top stories in the Valley of the Sun.
- 🌼 Calling all wanna-be gardeners! Now’s your chance for a free backyard garden
- 🏄 Surfin’ in the desert. It’s going to be a thing now in Mesa
- 💻 ASU Sun Devils set a record for first-gen college students
Monsoon season whirls right in: An afternoon thunderstorm. High: 103 Low: 85.
🏡 Looking for more real estate leads in Phoenix? Let us help you reach prospective home buyers and stand out from the competition. Click here to learn more.
Here are the top stories today in Phoenix:
1) Gor a green thumb? Phoenix will fund your backyard garden for free. “We have $1 million of federal funds to help install 178 gardens in people’s backyards,” explains Spencer Blake.
FOX 10 NewsPhoenix
2) Surf’s up, Phoenix! The 71-acre PHX Surf Park with two surf lagoons is under the way. The 31,000-square-foot park will offer lodging, retail, restaurants and more in Mesa.
3) Student enrollment at ASU sets a record – one in three students enrolled at ASU are first-generation college students. “It’s very exciting because I’ll be the first in my family to go to college,” said Angel Gutierrez, from Glendale, Arizona.
4) Fork up, rent up! ASU students return to soaring rents with Tempe one-bedroom apartments now averaging $1,527 a month. ASU students are reporting rents rising by hundreds of dollars in recent months.
Phoenix New Times
5) Weed’s legal here, but some pot shops aren’t. In South Phoenix, an illegal pot shop was busted. Three people running the shop were arrested, but no customers.
AZ Central (subscription required)
Today in Phoenix
- Alex Isley Concert, Aug 16 (Details)
- Odesza: The Last Goodbye Tour, Aug 17 (Details)
- Shakey Graves Concert, Aug 17 (Details)
From My Notebook
Photo: Arizona Humane Society
- “This could be your wedding 🙌🐾😻 If you’re looking for an unFURgettable, unique experience for your wedding reception, the Arizona Humane Society’s Cuddle Bunch is perfect for animal lovers… and 100% Instagrammable!” (Arizona Humane Society via Facebook)
- “APPLICATIONS ARE OPEN! Apply today 🚨 🚒 Firefighter Recruit ☎️ Fire Emergency Dispatcher Learn more.” (Phoenix Fire Department via Facebook)
Photo: City of Phoenix
- “The Phoenix Motorcycle Club sits ready to rumble down the dirt roads of Phoenix in the early #1900s. Photo courtesy of Steve Schumacher #letsride” (City of Phoenix, AZ USA via Facebook)
- “If you know someone, including youth, who has made an impact on the quality of life of Phoenix residents, please nominate them for an MLK Award.”(City of Phoenix, AZ USA via Facebook)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
That’s it for today! See you all tomorrow morning for another update!
— Merichelle Norwood
About me: Merichelle has chronicled her many Arizona adventures since 2016. She is the founder of the local blog She Moves PHX. You’re most likely to find her munching on tacos on a Tuesday, sipping brews at a local cafe, or eating unicorn cakes.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Phoenix Daily? Contact me at [email protected]