Kitchen fire destroys Yuma’s house and leads to K-9 search and rescue

House no longer habitable, American Red Cross called for help from the family

YUMA, Ariz. (KYMA, KECY) – The Yuma Fire Department (YFD) found an active kitchen fire in a house on Block 600 on S 20th Avenue Thursday night.

Firefighters say it started around 7:30 p.m. after being called to 651 S 20th Avenue. According to Fire Marshal Kayal Franklin, a teenager was at home when the fire broke out. She woke up from the smell of smoke and ran out of the house.

When YFD crews arrived, however, two dogs were still missing. Franklin confirms that firefighters ransacked the house, located the unconscious pets, took them outside, and tied FIDO bags to their snouts.

Courtesy of the Yuma Fire Department

The YFD reports that both dogs regained consciousness and were soon able to stand up and walk on their own. Even so, the homeowners were unable to move back in and the American Red Cross was called in to help the residents.

Investigators found that the teen’s parents had left a saucepan of oil unattended on the stove. They also stated that there were no working smoke alarms in the house.

Franklin explains that this situation could have been avoided by saying, “The most common place for a fire in the house is in the kitchen and one cause is unattended cooking. Stay in the kitchen when you are cooking, roasting, grilling, or grilling. If you need to leave the kitchen for even a short time, make sure to turn off the stove. Most cooking fires ignite the stove by unsupervised cooking. “

Comments are closed.