Volleyball Sweeps Hampton for Third Straight Win, Clinches CAA Tournament Spot
11/5/2022 | 4:00 PM
Nov 05 (Sat) / 4:00 PM
HAMPTON, Va. – The Elon University volleyball team delivered its most efficient offensive performance of the year on Sunday, as the Phoenix defeated Hampton 3-0 to extend its winning streak to three matches.
Elon finished the match with a season-best hitting percentage of .317, as the Phoenix offense had 41 kills and just nine errors. This was the first time Elon hit better than .300 in a match since the team registered a .446 hitting percentage on Nov. 6, 2021, against Hofstra.
“We played a very low error match today, but we were still very aggressive in both serving and attacking,” head coach Mary Tendler said. “It allowed us to stay in rhythm early and sustain that throughout the match. Both Leah and Clara did a great job of mixing up their shots and taking some big swings. We’ll look to keep this momentum going on the road next weekend. ”
With the victory, Elon clinched a spot in the Colonial Athletic Association Tournament, which Towson will host on Nov. 17-19. The win also improves Elon’s record to 7-5 in CAA matches and 10-12 overall. The drops defeat Hampton to 3-14 overall and 0-14 in the CAA.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The teams traded points early in the opening set, but a 6-0 Elon run in the middle of the set propelled Elon to a 13-7 lead. The run was capped by three consecutive kills – two from Leah Daniel and one from Claire Richey. Elon never looked back, as the Phoenix hit at a .429 clip and won the set 25-15.
- Hampton held an early 8-5 advantage in the second set, but Elon quickly erased the deficit and took his first lead of the frame at 11-10. The Pirates tied the score at 13-13 but the Phoenix immediately answered with an 8-2 run that included kills by Daniel, Jenn Krzeminski and Clara LaRue. Elon went on to close out a 25-17 victory.
- The Phoenix won nine of the first 11 points in the third set and led by as many as eight at 12-4. Hampton cut the deficit to as few as four, but Elon won six of the final seven points and closed out a 25-16 third set win on a LaRue kill and Krzeminski ace.
NOTES AND STATS
- Clara LaRue delivered a team-high 14 kills on just 24 attacks, as the freshman finished with a career-best hitting percentage of .542. This was LaRue’s fifth time registering double-digit kills this season and the first since she also had 14 against Northeastern on Oct. 5.
- Leah Daniel had 12 kills and hit at a season-best .417 clip on 24 attacks. Elon’s all-time leader in kills has double-digit kills in 17 matches this season, including each of the last four.
- For the second straight match against the Pirates, Haylie Clark tallied 33 assists. The senior has eclipsed double-digit assists in every match this season and has reached 30 assists in 14 matches. She also had six digs, three blocks and three kills.
- Jordan Gower paced the Phoenix with 13 digs. The senior has recorded double-digit digs in every appearance this season.
- Jenn Krzeminski tied Clark with a team-high three blocks. Daniel and Claire Richey had two for the Phoenix.
- Alex VanWestrienen hit a team-best three aces. It was the senior’s sixth match this season with multiple aces.
- As a team, the Phoenix led Hampton in kills (41-28), assists (39-26), digs (45-39), blocks (6-5) and aces (7-4).
- Elon’s .446 hitting percentage in the opening set was the team’s best in a set this season and just the second time the Phoenix has hit better than .400 in any set.
- The Phoenix’s nine errors are the fewest for the team in a match this season and the fewest since the team recorded just three against Hofstra on Nov. 6, 2021.
- The win secured Elon’s second CAA series sweep of the season, as the maroon and gold last won a pair of CAA matches on the same weekend against North Carolina A&T on Sept. 17-18.
The Phoenix travels east to Wilmington for its two road matches of the season against UNCW. Saturday’s contest is set to begin at 4 pm while Sunday’s match will start at 2 pm